Wirikuta Desert Excursion (Peyote)
With Marakame Don Venado, Eva Evers and Agder Sanchez Palacios
March 8 - 14, 2024
You are invited to partake in an extraordinary excursion to the sacred land of the Wixarika people (Huichol), the Wirikuta desert. We are deeply honored to extend an invitation for you to join us for this excursion with our guide and medicine man (Marakame) Don Venado.
Yearly, the Wixarika community embarks on a ten-day pilgrimage to this sacred destination, retracing the footsteps of their ancestors. There, they collect precious medicine and make offerings for the health of their businesses, family, water, fire, earth, and the entirety of existence. This unique opportunity will enable you to forge a deeper connection with this sacred plant medicine, the spirits that surround us, and the rich cultural heritage of these land’s custodians.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Friday, March 8 – Our journey starts at 5 pm in the charming city of San Luis Potosi with its colonial downtown.
- Saturday, March 9 – The following morning, we depart for the Wirikuta desert where we meet the Marakame (Wixarika medicine man). We will stay the night at a local hotel where we will meet our guide, Don Venado, and receive our private crystal healings.
- Sunday, March 10 – We will make our way into the desert where we make an offering to the spirits followed by hikuri (peyote) hunting. That evening, we hold an all-night prayer ceremony in the desert.
- Monday, March 11 – On our way to Real de Catorce in the mountains, we will make a stop in the desert at the sacred altar of Kayumari (the blue deer spirit) to receive blessings from the Marakame.
- Tuesday, March 12 – Walk to the Quemado mountain for a closing prayer, partaking of holy medicine along the way.
- Wednesday, March 13 – In the unique mining town of Real de Catorce, we share a temazcal (sweat lodge) to integrate our experiences so far.
- Thursday, March 14 – We are making our way back to San Luis Potosi Airport.
The ceremony night will begin with individual introductions and cleanses with Grandfather Fire, Tatewari. Sacred chants and dance will be shared throughout the night. The traditional Wixarika instruments are a small ”canari” guitar and violin that are played together while our Marakame (spiritual guide), Don Venado, sings to the spirits of nature. We will give the opportunity at various times throughout the night for those who feel called to share their prayer songs to the medicine.
Though Don Venado’s native tongue is the language of his people, the Wixarika or Wirarika, he is among the select few fluent in Spanish. We will provide English translation throughout the ceremony and the entire excursion.
The crystal healings (limpia) are suitable for anyone seeking balance, prosperity, harmony, and physical, mental, and emotional well-being. These healing sessions are relatively short, but the healing process continues after their completion. The limpia is performed using a Mouvieri, a tool composed of two feathers attached to a wooden stick. This tool can detect energy accumulations in the body and diagnose symptoms experienced in the present moment. The healing energy channeled through the Mouvieri infuses you with vitality and subsequently extracts disease materialized as negative energy in the form of small crystals removed from the body.
Don Venado is a renowned medicine man (Marakame) of the Wixarika (Huichol) nation in Mexico. The Wixarika people are the custodians of a thousand-year-old tradition centered around the sacred medicine Peyote (Hikuri). Don Venado works with this plant medicine and possesses the unique ability to transmute diseases and negative energies within the body into crystals that are subsequently expelled. He is not only a gifted medicine man but also a talented artist.
Learn more about Marakame Don Venado
Eva dedicates her time to the expansion of the indigenous knowledge, taking care of our members and the team. She created this organization and dedicates with passion and gentleness to all the administration and organizational details as the managing director and founder. Eva is a coach and facilitator who has been working with clients all over the world for over 20 years. She trained in Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) and various individual and team 360-degree feedback tools. Eva is a certified psychospiritual and psychedelic integration coach, as well as a Gamma Breathwork, Reiki Level 2, and sound healing practitioner. She is…
Learn more about Eva Evers
Agder Iztacmitl (White Arrow) is a sacred pipe (Canupa) carrier and sun dancer from Mexico. He has over 25 years of experience working with the Mazatec mushroom tradition. His father was a medicine man before him, and he was introduced to the medicine path at the age of 8. He later participated in ceremonies of the red road, such as the vision quest and sun dance. He was adopted by Yuwipi man Christopher Long, who gave him permission to share the Lakota peyote temescal and sweat lodge. His work has taken him to Europe, India, and North and South America.
Learn more about Agder Sanchez Palacios